Denmead is a village in Hampshire near Portsmouth, England.It is part of the City of Winchester district. As of 2005, it had a population of 6,457 and an electorate of 4,987.
Denmead began as a Saxon settlement. Its name was originally denu mead or meadow in a small valley. In Saxon times and for long afterwards it was isolated place that stood in the Forest of Bere, which stretched from the Sussex border to Winchester.
In the early 19th century Denmead was a small and isolated village. However the village of Denmead slowly grew. In 1819 a windmill was built there (it was demolished in 1922). The demolished windmill bricks were used to build a bridge over the railway at Cosham.
However in the early 19th century Denmead was really a cluster of tiny hamlets, Anmore, Anthill, Barn Green, Furzeley Corner, Kidmore and Worlds End. By 1871 the population of Denmead parish had reached 587. By 1901 it had reached 881.
A school was built in Denmead in 1874. Local farmers gave flint to build the school. It originally had three buildings and 70 children. The school moved to a new building in 1973. Meanwhile the parish church of All Saints in Denmead was built in 1880 for 2,000 pounds.
Then in 1924 Denmead gained a gas supply. A piped water supply reached Denmead in 1931. The same year it gained an electricity supply. In 1932 Denmead gained a parish council.
From the 1960s Denmead began to grow rapidly until today it verges on being a town. Today the population of Denmead is about 6,700.